Lately I've been reading books to Tatum each night before she goes to bed. At one of my baby showers people brought books in place of cards, and I have loved having all of these books to read to her. One of my favorites has been Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. It tells a story of a mother that as her son grows up, no matter how old he is, after he is asleep she sneaks into his room and rocks him while singing:
I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be
Although it's a little strange that in the book the mother drives to her grown sons house in the middle of the night to rock and sing to him, it made me realize something. As much as I wish I could keep Tatum little enough to stay in my arms forever, where I can be the one to protect her from the world around her, she has to grow up. And as hard as it is, I have to let her. I have to let her make her own decisions, I have to let her learn from her mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes are going to bring her pain and sorrow. But as her mother I will still have a role to play. Although I won't be able to protect her from it all, I will love her through it all. No matter what. Love truly is the greatest gift you can give.

No comments:
Post a Comment