4.21.2013

maternity pictures & hermione






This past weekend was so much fun. Saturday morning me and Byron got up and had some pictures taken by the lovely Jessica Hansen who did such a good job! I wanted to get a few shots of this baby bump before I started getting too big and feeling like a beached whale. Although it was raining and very cold, I am so happy with how they turned out. These are just a few pictures from the shoot. I also had my first baby shower on Saturday which was a blast. We played the price is right with baby items, everyone gave me advice, and we had lots of yummy food of course.

I heard a quote today by J.K. Rowling that really got me thinking:

"I've got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me, because I don't want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny- a thousand things, before 'thin'. And frankly, I'd rather they didn't give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do. Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons."

It really does make me kind of sick to think that I have to raise my little girl in such a world that places so much emphasis on being skinny and looking a certain way. As if as a woman the most important thing is to have to have perfectly manicured nails and wear a certain pant size. It's sad that those things tend to be the measuring stick the world uses of our success as women, even more sad that we use that measuring stick on ourselves. And if there is one thing I would want Tatum to know it would be that I would rather her be a thousand things before 'thin'. It's a big responsibility to be a mom, to teach your children and help shape their views of the world. It's overwhelming actually. And as a mom I pray that I am able to teach Tatum what the real important qualities are to possess as a woman... the things that actually matter... the things that make you a good person instead of just a pretty face. I want my daughter(s) to be Hermiones.

No comments:

Post a Comment