I started noticing that the more pressure I put on myself to get her to "sleep through the night", the more frustrated I would get with my sweet Tatum. And when she'd wake up in the night I would always think what is wrong, why won't you just sleep through the night like all the other babies? Until I finally came to realize it's NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL FOLKS. Once I actually thought about it, I realized I was more frustrated with the fact that I wasn't meeting these expectations than I was with the lack of sleep or getting up with her in the night. Once I took that pressure off of myself, I was so much happier. I'm not saying that sleep training your baby is bad, I think it's completely awesome and necessary. I'm also not saying that I will never let my baby "cry it out" etc. What I'm simply saying is, can we all just go a little bit easier on ourselves? I mean, I get woken up by the sweetest baby in the whole world. And it only gives me more opportunities to snuggle her. I feel like I spent a lot of those opportunities frustrated instead of fully enjoying something that I will NEVER get back. I will get my sleep back, but never those moments. She's already a day older today than she was yesterday. And I practically can't even say those words without choking up.
I'm sure there will come a time where I will need to show some tough love, let her cry it out, or maybe once I have another baby I won't be able to get up in the night like I have been able to with Tatum. But for now I am content. I have my sweet little baby and I'm always going to do what I think is best for her and what is best for me. I strongly believe that every mother has a different way of doing things and every baby is different too, making it impossible to make a blanket statement about how things should be done. But isn't that what is so beautiful about being a mother? YOU are the one that knows what is best for you and your baby, mothers intuition is no joke. And I thank Heavenly Father every day that he trusted me enough to send me my sweet Tatum, now can I just learn to trust myself? I'm sure there will come a day where I will get a full 8 hours of sleep, but for right now I'm going to take the extra snuggles.

THANK you! You're so right. I feel like this applies to everything about motherhood, not just sleeping. As soon as I stopped comparing myself and Ezra to others, we were both so much happier. It's funny how not meeting certain expectations can be more upsetting than what it is they're actually doing. Thanks for being an awesome mama! :)
ReplyDeleteSorry I'm just barely getting around to responding to this. Isn't it SO TRUE? I feel like it's a lesson every mom has to learn and sometimes it is so hard. And thank you, right back at ya! :)
ReplyDelete